In 2017, CMS began work to upgrade the Quality Improvement and Evaluation System (QIES) data collection platform to a more reliable and secure platform. The Internet QIES (iQIES) is an internet-based platform that incorporates a new identity management process, i.e., HARP, for improved privacy and security of patient health information. Other post-acute provider settings that include long-term care hospitals, inpatient rehabilitation facilities, and home health agencies have already made the transition to iQIES to submit patient assessment data to CMS.
Now it’s time for skilled nursing facility (SNF) providers to make the transition. The current QIES system will be shut down on April 13, 2023 at 8 p.m. ET. The iQIES system will be ready to receive Minimum Data Set (MDS) transmissions on April 17, 2023 at 8 a.m. ET. SNF providers will not be able to transmit MDS assessments April 14–16, 2023 and should plan in advance for timely MDS transmission. In addition, all quality measure reports will be moved to iQIES after April 17, 2023.
The following steps are required to set up for this transition:
- Provider Security Official (PSO) Setup: Each facility must set up a HARP account and assign at least one PSO in iQIES. The first PSO setup requires CMS approval.
- Additional Users Setup: Additional facility users set up HARP accounts and iQIES roles. Refer to the CMS iQIES User Roles Matrix Job Aid to determine appropriate roles. To create User Roles in iQIES, the PSO must first be approved by CMS. After each user logs in to iQIES using their HARP login, the PSO will receive a notification from the HARP system that a role has been submitted for approval. The PSO must then log in to their HARP account to approve all facility accounts.
- Third-Party Vendor Setup: If a third-party vendor submits MDS assessments for the facility, reach out to the vendor to understand what role it will be requesting for iQIES. PSOs must approve any third-party vendor role requests to have them submit MDS assessments for them in iQIES. PSOs will get an automatic email notification from HARP when new account requests have been made.
- Approve Requests: The PSO must log in to HARP to approve user requests for the facility prior to April 17, 2023.
MDS Submission Resources
- QIES (ASAP): MDS Provider User’s Guide (cms.gov)
- iQIES: How to Upload Assessments – YouTube
If you have any questions or need assistance, please reach out to a professional at FORVIS or use the Contact Us form below.