This content was published prior to the merger of equals between BKD and DHG on June 1, 2022. See all FORsights for the most up-to-date articles, webinars, and videos.
Simply Tax® Episode 19 – Tax Reform for Insurance Companies
Part of the TCJA Series
SUBSCRIBE: iTunes | Android | RSS
In the 10th episode of our Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) series, host Damien Martin sits down with BKD’s Tom Wheeland to cover the major provisions of the new tax law means affecting insurance companies. Here’s what you’ll find in this episode:
- Impact of the new tax law on the insurance industry @ 1:39
- Reaction to the new tax law @ 5:52
- Areas of confusion @ 7:04
- Tax planning after the TCJA @ 13:15
- Changes for life insurance companies @ 15:15
- Frequently asked questions @ 16:30
- Knee-jerk reactions to avoid @ 21:51
- Areas where we need guidance @24:05
BIO FOR GUEST
Tom Wheeland leads BKD National Insurance Services Practice and has almost 30 years of experience providing insurance tax services to property and casualty, life and health companies of all sizes. He co-authored BKD’s SSAP 101 Resource Guide and is a leading authority on income tax accounting for insurance companies. He is a frequent speaker at insurance tax forums, including the Insurance Tax Conference and Insurance Accounting & Systems Association’s national, regional and local conferences.