SUBSCRIBE: iTunes | Android | RSS
In the past year, businesses, owners and their advisors have been carefully evaluating their choice of entity and wrestling with converting S corporations to C corporations after tax reform. Listen in on an insightful two-part discussion as guests Steve Gorin and Susan Jones join host Damien Martin to take a closer look at this perplexing and complicated topic.
TIME STAMPS OF WHAT’S COVERED
- Irrevocable grantor trusts explained @ 1:11
- “A C corporation is fundamentally incapable with a sale to an irrevocable trust or a grantor retained annuity trust (GRAT)” @ 8:32
- Possible exit charges on converting a C corporation to an S corporation (and possible strategies to avoid them)
- Method of accounting considerations for choice of entity @ 12:55
- Distributing your S corporation accumulated adjustments account @ 15:06
- Future of tax rates @ 20:57
- What if you change your mind and you want to go back to being an S corporation? @ 24:25
- The built-in gains tax considerations @ 26:34
BIO FOR GUEST
Steve Gorin is a partner in Thompson Coburn's St. Louis, Missouri, office and a nationally recognized practitioner in the areas of estate planning and the structuring of privately held businesses. Steve crafts estate plans for individuals, keeping in mind their financial security and desire to save income and estate tax. In his work for businesses, Steve helps owners plan for the eventual sale (to co-owners, employees or third parties) or transfer (to family members) and provides a legal framework for an orderly transition while strategically saving income, transfer and FICA taxes.
Learn more about Steve
Connect with Steve on LinkedIn
Susan Jones is the St. Louis leader for BKD's Private Client Services (PCS) tax team and a leader of BKD Family Office. She provides sophisticated income, gift and estate tax compliance, consulting and planning services to individuals, families, fiduciaries, private foundations and their related entities. She also provides proactive executive compensation planning and succession planning for high-net-worth individuals and their family-owned businesses.
Connect with Susan on LinkedIn
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPSIODE
View Steve’s webinar: Effective Business Income Tax Rates in Light of 2017 Tax Law Changes
Subscribe to Steve’s blog: Business Succession Solutions
Listen to previous episodes of the Simply Tax® podcast mentioned during the episode:
Wealth Transfer Strategies for Families presented by Susan Jones and Holly Pantzer
Episodes of Simply Tax® podcast included in the introduction to part I:
GET MORE SIMPLY TAX®
We’re excited to also provide video content to strengthen your tax mind! Check it out on our
A complete archive of our episodes is available on our
We’d love to hear from you! Email feedback and questions to
Connect with Damien on social media!