SUBSCRIBE: iTunes | Android | RSS
As we discussed in Just Add Salt and What Now After Wayfair?, the U.S. Supreme Court ruling on South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc. (Wayfair) forever changed the landscape of nexus for state sales tax purposes. Guests Mary Reiser and Ken Taylor return to the podcast to discuss how developments stemming from this landmark decision have been shaping the sales and income tax landscape for businesses and their owners.
TIME STAMPS OF WHAT’S COVERED
- What’s nexus? @2:40
- Economic nexus @3:50
- The evolution of income tax nexus standards @5:23
- Public Law 86-272 @8:53
- Economic nexus is here to stay @11:14
- Do you know where your inventory is? @15:56
- What to do this tax filing season if you have inventory in multiple states @18:36
- How to approach gathering the info you need @24:29
- Inventory is taxable @27:18
- What does Wayfair mean for Public Law 86-272? @29:21
- Taxation of services as part of the Wayfair analysis @37:28
- Market sourcing after Wayfair @44:23
BIO FOR GUESTS
Mary Reiser is a member of BKD’s State & Local Tax (SALT) Services division. She focuses on compliance and consulting for various SALT issues involving multistate entities, including audit defense, nexus analysis, voluntary disclosure and buy- and sell-side due diligence. Her primary experience is in the areas of income and franchise tax and sales and use tax.
Connect with Mary on LinkedIn
Ken Taylor is a senior managing consultant in BKD’s SALT division. He provides indirect tax consulting services to both public and private companies, including facilitation of automating sales and use tax compliance, technical assistance and research, audit defense, opinion memos, due diligence reviews for purchasers, identification and recovery of overpayments and sales and use tax function effectiveness reviews.
Connect with Ken on LinkedIn
Articles on Wayfair
Webinars on Wayfair
GET MORE SIMPLY TAX®
We’re excited to also provide video content to strengthen your tax mind! Check it out on our
A complete archive of our episodes is available on our
We’d love to hear from you! Email feedback and questions to
Connect with Damien on social media!