This content was published prior to the merger of equals between BKD and DHG on June 1, 2022. See all FORsights for the most up-to-date articles, webinars, and videos.
Simply Tax® Episode 88: Talking with “Tax Notes Talk”
SUBSCRIBE: iTunes | Android | RSS
Have you ever wondered what would happen if you put the hosts of two tax podcasts together in a studio to talk tax? We thought so! Simply Tax® host Damien Martin sits down with “Tax Notes Talk” host David D. Stewart to discuss his career reporting on international tax, where things stand with the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) base erosion and profit shifting (BEPS) project and the experience of hosting a podcast about taxes. Here’s what’s covered:
- How David Stewart came to write about, analyze and report on taxes @2:16
- How David knew he was a tax geek @4:18
- A day in the life of an international tax reporter @5:18
- The latest on the OECD BEPS project and the experience of following it @11:16
- A prediction on the 2020 target completion for the project @17:29
- The biggest challenge for completing the BEPS project @18:41
- Reactions to telling people you host a podcast about taxes @21:29
- How “Tax Notes Talk” was born @23:53
- Why you should listen and how it’s grown in more than 100 episodes @25:45
- Advice for a successful career reporting on tax @32:16
BIO FOR GUESTS
David D. Stewart is the editor in chief of Tax Notes Today International (TNTI), an online daily publication from Tax Analysts covering cross-border tax issues from around the world. He also is the host of the “Tax Notes Talk” podcast, a weekly podcast covering cutting-edge developments in tax, including up-to-the-minute changes in federal, state and international tax law and regulations. In the eight years prior to taking over as editor of TNTI, he was a legal reporter on the publication covering transfer pricing.
Follow David on Twitter
Connect with David on LinkedIn
Resources mentioned in the episode
- "Tax Notes Talk" episode: Simply Tax Season crossover episode with David Stewart and Damien Martin
- "Tax Notes Talk" episode: Drunk Tax History with David Stewart and Joseph Thorndike
- “Tax History: Drunk Tax History: Alcohol and American Public Finance” by Joseph Thorndike
More Simply Tax® episodes from the “Working in Tax” series:
- Episode 62: Loving What You Do with John Garrett
- Episode 63: Where Should You Work? with Amie Kuntz
- Episode 67: An Insider's View: The IRS & Public Accounting with David Kirk
- Episode 76: How to Become a Tax Geek with Chris Hesse
- Episode 77: Living the CPA Life with Tim Jipping
GET MORE SIMPLY TAX®
We’re excited to also provide video content to strengthen your tax mind! Check it out on our YouTube channel.
A complete archive of our episodes is available on our
We’d love to hear from you! Email feedback and questions to SimplyTax@forvis.com.
Connect with Damien on social media!
LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube