Multi-factor authentication (MFA) auto-enablement and enforcement are coming to Salesforce. Are your users ready?
To help prepare your organization, learn how Salesforce is going to automatically enable and enforce MFA and what you can do to avoid disruptions for your users and business.
According to Salesforce, usernames and passwords no longer provide sufficient protection against cyberattacks. MFA can be an effective way to help prevent unauthorized account access and safeguard your and your customers’ data.
Salesforce is requiring customers to implement MFA to help mitigate the risks stemming from threats like phishing attacks, credential stuffing, and compromised devices. The current target for MFA enforcement is in the September 2023 time frame.
What to Expect When Salesforce Enforces MFA
- Admins won’t be able to turn off the “Require multi-factor authentication (MFA) for all direct UI logins to your Salesforce org” setting.
- Users will receive an MFA challenge each time they log in directly with their username and password.
- Users who weren’t already using MFA will be prompted to register for it when they log in and won’t be able to access their account until they do so.
- Users who have the “Multi-Factor Authentication for User Interface Logins” user permission and are already logging in with MFA won’t experience any changes.
- If you have user types that are exempt from the MFA requirement, you may need to complete a step before enforcement occurs to help ensure MFA isn’t inadvertently applied to these accounts. See “Exclude Exempt Users from MFA” for more information.
MFA Verification Methods Salesforce Will Support
- Salesforce Authenticator
- Third-Party Authenticator Apps
- Security Keys
- Built-In Authenticators
Learn more about each type of verification method supported by Salesforce products here.
Do you need Salesforce support for MFA? Or, do you have other concerns with your system you’d like to address?
With certified experience in Salesforce systems, the Business Technology Solutions team at FORVIS is here to help. Use the Contact Us form below to reach out for support.
Additional resources from Salesforce: