The Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) Convention 2023 was held at the beautiful Gaylord Palms Resort in Kissimmee, Florida. Even though the weather was a bit chilly for Florida, the conference turned up the heat with some fantastic speakers. The event kicked off with some entertainment from Rhythm, who took the stage by storm by playing on garbage cans. The opening general speaker was Life Is Magic author Jon Dorenbos, who played in the NFL for 14 seasons before his career was ended by a life-threatening heart condition. His story was as riveting as his card tricks as he repeatedly showed us why we should not be defined by moments in our life but redefine them.
ABC Chief Economist Anirban Basu led us through his jam-packed presentation on the current economy in his traditional themed manner, titled “Show Me the Money (Supply).” He covered various economic topics within the construction industry along with discussing the potential impact of the recent banking crisis.
Author Stephen M. R. Covey also had a session on “Trust and Inspire: How Truly Great Leaders Unleash Greatness in Others,” which is the name of his new book.
Here are some takeaways from the event:
- Jon Dorenbos – “Overcome life-or-death challenges with grace, persistence, and a childlike sense of wonder.”
- Anirban Basu – The construction industry is still going strong, but caution should be heeded as there is a labor shortage for work out there. There is potential for a recession in 2023.
- There is a shortage of male workers age 16 to 34, while the number of women in the workplace increases.
- Inflation is down to 6% for all items, but still remains high with energy leading.
- The demand for remote jobs is hurting construction for younger talent.
- Stephen M. R. Covey – Three stewardships of a trusting and inspiring leader:
- Modeling: Who you are
- Trusting: How you lead
- Inspiring: Connect to why
- Stephen M. R. Covey’s five beliefs:
I believe …
- People have greatness inside them
- People are whole people
- There is enough for everyone
- Leadership is stewardship
- Enduring influence is created from the inside out
- Unleash their potential, not control them
- Inspire, not merely motivate
- Elevate caring above competing
- Put service above self-interest
- Go first
Overall, the ABC Convention 2023 brought together teams across the country to connect and compete on various levels across the construction craft and construction management industries. The convention brought a record number of attendees, and we look forward to attending next year.
To learn more about how we can assist construction, please reach out to a professional at FORVIS or use the Contact Us form below.