FORVIS helps you by performing strategic research to identify available grant funding opportunities in support of your citizens and communities. Our approach to identifying funding options from federal, state, local, and private grant sources includes using a systems approach to enhance funding. We hold brainstorming sessions to assess current programs and the development of any newly anticipated programs. We understand that a comprehensive plan may involve an iterative approach as we balance community needs, resources, and political and socio-cultural priorities.
When applying for funding, it’s important to present your vision in a favorable way to meet the needs the funding seeks to address. We can assist you in producing grant applications that conform to the scoring criteria and formatting requirements outlined in grant instructions. We also can compile the necessary documentation for compliance and perform quality and technical reviews prior to submission. We also can assist with submission on the applicable grant portal.
Planning & Development
While a grant award can greatly benefit any organization, keeping track of all the requirements and tasks that must start on day one can be overwhelming. FORVIS can guide you from the initial grant award phase through preparing the necessary tools to comply with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. We also can assist in developing a grant portfolio to include grants received, amounts, reporting deadlines, monitoring requirements, and any other applicable information.
Forward Looking Project Management & Technology
A key element to a successful grants management project is establishing a solid project management foundation that emphasizes transparency and flexibility. With our proven project management methodology, you will not miss a beat. Our nimble approach leverages cutting-edge project management tools, including data analytics, artificial intelligence, and powerful benchmarking solutions, all while emphasizing the importance of security and confidentiality. This approach also gives you real-time access to what’s happening in your project at any given time, giving you peace of mind on the priorities and purpose of the project.
There are many strenuous and ever-changing regulations that surround cost-recovery programs. Having the expertise of FORVIS grants management advisors can help you avoid potential de-obligation in the future and solidify your federal funding. Our approach can include:
- Assessing eligibility of fund recipients based on guidance stated in the oversight agency’s contract
- Creating and/or assisting in the application process for subrecipients
- Monitoring a participant’s eligibility status in accordance with the contract requirements
- Guiding clients on the most up-to-date Uniform Guidance applicable to the funding source
Grant Policies & Procedures
FORVIS can assist in the development, modification, or implementation of applicable policies and procedures for both recipients and subrecipients. These can include but are not limited to:
- Creating tailored checklists to assist in grants management and compliance
- Identifying applicable compliance requirements
- Reviewing the grantee’s budget to identify opportunities for allocation of indirect costs and matching requirements
- Developing procurement policies and processes to help administer allowable expenditures
Funding Allocation Methodology
Our clients count on us to bring measured and time-tested advice. We take the time to gain an understanding of your current allocation processes and any priorities that should be incorporated to meet the needs of the community. Although budget constraints always play a significant role, the factors used to determine the allocations must be based on reasonable eligibility and allowability criteria and documented accordingly. We will recommend changes to assist in complying with specialized rules and regulations, including areas for efficiencies and best practices.
Application Strategy for Programs
FORVIS can assist in the preparation and development of grant applications to distribute funding. This may include providing website updates, finalizing application components, converting into acceptable formats, and compiling the various pieces of the application, including the required back-up documentation.
FORVIS technology and data analytics can determine eligibility and includes coordination of applicant questions and responses that is based on the oversight agency guidance. This includes the intake forms/monitoring and project management through approval and denials. To help mitigate risk, we can develop a client risk assessment as part of the initial screening process for reimbursement requests. We believe these tactics will help public sector, nonprofit, higher education and healthcare entities get more from their grants management services.
Process Improvement Assessment
The complexity of award requirements can often result in time-consuming processes. Beyond helping maintain compliance, we also can assist in refining these processes to improve operating efficiencies. With a thoughtful review of current processes and duties assigned within the financial reporting process, we can identify potential opportunities to streamline activities and improve utilization of resources.
Procurement Policy Preparation & Implementation
Our experienced team can assist in reviewing contracts and purchasing documentation for cost recovery and compliance of expenditures using federal funds. FORVIS can help:
- Educate management on documentation required for complying with procurement rules in accordance with Uniform Guidance and funding sources
- Create internal implementation checklists that’s compliant with your procurement policy and monitor procurement purchases through data analytics
Allowable Costs by Funding Source
Various funding sources, deadlines, and unique requirements add complexity to determining the highest and best use of available funding for you and the clients you serve. FORVIS can help:
- Explain the various forms of funding you’ve received and work to identify allowable expenditures
- Assess whether participants receiving federal funds were eligible based on guidance stated in the oversight agency's requirements and contract requirements
With significantly more funding likely passing through your organization than normal, having a robust subrecipient monitoring solution is critical. FORVIS’ subrecipient modeling solution includes:
- Evaluating internal controls and processes for monitoring subrecipients
- Leveraging data analytics and forensic monitoring procedures to help reconcile key budget line items to the subrecipient’s supporting documentation submission and helping identify potential fraud, waste, and abuse
- Submitting financial packages to the funding entity and providing required integration for outcomes reporting to federal and state regulators
- Identifying allowable or unallowable costs and control objectives that can provide reasonable assurance that awards are expended only for allowable activities.
Reporting is always around the corner. With our end-to-end approach to grants management, you can be confident in the results you provide to your oversight agencies. Whether it be monthly, quarterly, or annual reporting requirements, having a strong reporting system in place keeps everyone informed of deadlines and promotes transparency.
FORVIS can help your organization comply with reporting requirements related to the funding you received. In addition, we can inspect transactions for city, state, and federal compliance and assist you in coordinating, planning, and responding to audits—OIG and state auditor audits, Single Audits, etc.
Depending on the funding source and regulatory requirements, some projects and programs require compliance and reporting even after a project is complete. FORVIS can help you build processes that follow the applicable state, local, and federal guidelines, as well as processes around records retention. FORVIS can help you have peace of mind that requests, reports, or data points needed are in order to help you avoid de-obligation or negative reports.